Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tranny cooler question

I'm making up my own adjustable shift kit and plan on installing it today, but the cooler in my rad has collapsed as there were brass fillings in the tranny filter when i got it flushed a week or two ago, I plan on getting a Davies Craig from SCA next friday and installing it then, would it be alright to use the shift kit in the mean time or should i really wait till i bypass the rad?

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If coolant has gotten in to the transmission I wouldn't be driving it at all. It's only a matter of time until it dies and your up for a rebuild.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloke didn't mention anything about coolant in the tranny, just recommended to get another rad asap or the tranny will need another flush, he also recommended against a external cooler but that doesn't seem too smart considering what I've read on here
Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

dont do any further mods till you have your radiator sorted.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Keep the current radiator unless it has a totally stuffed core and is leaking externally, but install a tranny cooler bypassing the radiator - get the biggest one you can! A V8 one (approx 300 x 200) for the I6 is good, or 2 I6 ones (approx 250 x 200 each) for a V8 work well! I have one V8 one and a 6cyl one on my I6 (better to be safe than sorry).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers JC, I'll grab the DC V8 one tomorrow mornin then, does anyone have a part number for a barb fitting that will go onto the original ford fitting? or know if i can get it from Enzed or Pirtek?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nevermind, went and grabbed it tonight from SCA for 140..turns out these are made by PWR, under the DC sticker is the PWR logo cast into the alloy, will be heading to pirtek tomorrow morning to find 2 M16 3/8 barb fittings.
Old 13-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
nevermind, went and grabbed it tonight from SCA for 140..turns out these are made by PWR, under the DC sticker is the PWR logo cast into the alloy, will be heading to pirtek tomorrow morning to find 2 M16 3/8 barb fittings.
gday fellas

A while ago i by passed my radiator trans cooler(fitted a new manual radiator) and went for the biggest ext cooler I could find and it had worked well for day to day duties for about a year and then I had to tow a small car (tx3 laser) home from hurstville not so long ago a straight 90k highway run no traffic and 15ks from home the econ light started flashing and things got very hot and only JUST go home,i have towed several car before the external cooler mod with no problems so,Im thinking of refitting a auto radiator and running the coolers inline.

any one else had a drama like this?
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I fitted a new auto rad (bypassed to external cooler) about 12 months ago.

I haven't towed a car but I've got a 7' x 5' trailer that I recently carted 1/2 cubic metre of sand and 8 6" x 4" x 4m hardwood beams about 200kms - highway/hills/etc.

Dunno the all up weight but no probs at all as far as the tranny or cooler is concerned.

Cars done a few long trips (Bris - Cooktown, Bris - Cunnamulla, Bris - Melb/Adel) since the rad replacement and absolutely no probs.

(I've taken to changing my trans oil/filter inc torque converter every 12 months and after the last change (the first since new rad and cooler) oil was very slightly discoloured but much better than the first time I did it.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
gday fellas

A while ago i by passed my radiator trans cooler(fitted a new manual radiator) and went for the biggest ext cooler I could find and it had worked well for day to day duties for about a year and then I had to tow a small car (tx3 laser) home from hurstville not so long ago a straight 90k highway run no traffic and 15ks from home the econ light started flashing and things got very hot and only JUST go home,i have towed several car before the external cooler mod with no problems so,Im thinking of refitting a auto radiator and running the coolers inline.

I'd add another cooler (and change that oil), and you may also want to add a small thermo fan to the front of the oil cooler if you do lots of towing.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
gday fellas

I regularly tow with my coon, up to 1.5 tonne no worries. Can't see how an external cooler would cause this issue maybe you were low on fluid. As far as I'm concerned, with cars out of warranty I wouldn't trust the internal/radiator cooler as far as I can throw em.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post