Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Becker_11

Lightbulb Waterless Shave

With all the talk regarding saving or eliminating water altogether when washing our cars I couldn't resist posting this.

Bold For Men Dry Shave Gel

A unique non-foaming gel designed as a 'Dry' versus a 'Wet' shave. The result is a luxurious waterless shave. No water, no foam, no mess.

What will they think of next?

Last edited by Becker_11; 11-01-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Altered title
Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
goldfire

'spose if you really wanted to you could use the good ol' KY jelly.

That or just go get yourself a leccy shaver. Just as good.. kinda.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Some guys shave with a running tap.
Massive waste of water!

I just use electric and shave 2 -3 times a week (due to CBF)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The idea has been around for ages.

You can get a product from some supermarkets / chemists called "king of Shaves" its touted to travellers etc as a waterless shave.

http://www.shave.com/site/docs/produ...cZBZnAAACWHXJw

I tried it, but my face is a bugger the shave in the best of situations, so this was useless.

Oh, and some free advice.... tooth paste is not a viable replacement for shaving cream....
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I just use electric and shave 2 -3 times a week (due to CBF)
Hey, great minds think alike. I normally electric shave every second day or sometimes third if it's the weekend for the same reason lol.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Panasonic electric shavers has faster motors than your average Braun, etc and kick butt, don't razor-shave at all anymore. The manager of the shaver shop in Geelong uses Panasonic and they don't even stock them.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use electric (panasonic) ... sure does the trick.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

HomeBrand Bic Disposable Razors for me...does the trick!
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
Panasonic electric shavers has faster motors than your average Braun, etc and kick butt, don't razor-shave at all anymore. The manager of the shaver shop in Geelong uses Panasonic and they don't even stock them.
Damn... wish I knew that a couple of months ago. I just replaced by Braun with another Braun.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 11-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
couldnt take the time to find out a couple of good Panasonic models (or the ones to steer clear of at least)?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i always had electronic, saves water and time IMO, when i get lazy i only shave once a week, but then i get locked away at work in the back room so no customers have to see me
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tried gel once but it felt like my skin was being daamn near torn off. So i use foam and shave when i'm in the shower. Two birds with one stone.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Bullitt68
The Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
HomeBrand Bic Disposable Razors for me...does the trick!
yep, but if anybody is watching I just whip out the Bowie knife
Old 11-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Bax
Projecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-250
I tried gel once but it felt like my skin was being daamn near torn off. So i use foam and shave when i'm in the shower. Two birds with one stone.
Two birds with one stone? not unless your washing at the same time,otherwise your just using twice as much water.

I rinse my face, foam it up, cup full of water, and then mach 3 it away.

I'd like to switch to electric, but from the last one I had I've been scared off, got blunt really quick, ripped the hairs out, didn't cut close enough to the skin, etc etc.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Some guys shave with a running tap.
Massive waste of water!
I see them doing it all the time in fitness first, when i tell them to
turn the tap off & turn it back on when they need to wash and shave
again but they just couldn't care and give a damm.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
couldnt take the time to find out a couple of good Panasonic models (or the ones to steer clear of at least)?
Sure, I'll let you know what model mine is. It's my second one. Perhaps the only drawback with Panasonic shavers is that they are almost like an iPod, in the sense that once the battery stops recharging it's quite expensive to get it replaced so you may as well get a new one. I think any Panasonic you get will be a good one, they are a bit pricey over a standard braun though.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Sure, I'll let you know what model mine is. It's my second one. Perhaps the only drawback with Panasonic shavers is that they are almost like an iPod, in the sense that once the battery stops recharging it's quite expensive to get it replaced so you may as well get a new one. I think any Panasonic you get will be a good one, they are a bit pricey over a standard braun though.
What kind of facial hair do you have Mark? Being a wog, mine is thick and curly, meaning that it's very hard for an electric to grab the hair that's curled.

Do you reckon the Panasonic is up to the task?

I also have sensitive skin, so I only blade shave Mon, Wed and Fri. Any more and my neck gets mighty irritated. How do you reckon the Panasonic would go with such skin.

I had a Phillips Phillishave once, I gave it away after a month or so, darn near shredded my neck! LOL!

GK

BTW, if you can answer all these questions with confidence, perhaps you could get a side job as a shaver consultant! LOL!

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 11-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
fmc351
let it burn

Philishave ftw.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

I got a new Electric shaver for christmas, from the shaver shop made by phillips and i can not recommend it enough to anyone! It is the greatest present I've ever had!! Does the trick birlliantly..has an automatic cleaning and drying feature, so you just press a button and it cleans all the blades, then brings it up and drys it all! Brilliant!

It also has a guarantee on the blades..2 years i think? Some ridiculously long time!!

2004 BAII XR6T - Lowered, Exhaust, Tint, Flash Tune, K&N Filter..what next? :

PREVIOUS CARS:

2000 Ford Falcon AUII Forte - Exhaust, lowered & tint

MK III Ford Cortina - Completely Stock!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
What kind of facial hair do you have Mark? Being a wog, mine is thick and curly, meaning that it's very hard for an electric to grab the hair that's curled.

I also have sensitive skin, so I only blade shave Mon, Wed and Fri. Any more and my neck gets mighty irritated. How do you reckon the Panasonic would go with such skin.

I had a Phillips Phillishave once, I gave it away after a month or so, darn near shredded my neck! LOL!

GK

BTW, if you can answer all these questions with confidence, perhaps you could get a side job as a shaver consultant! LOL!
I haven't got wog facial hair George, haha, so mine are fairly straight. The panasonics have two screens like normal and a middle cutter to shorten most hairs, otherwise they also have a beard/sideburn trimmer you could use to cut back the curlier ones. I shave every morning so it's not normally long enough to be a problem - if I get slack over a weekend it'll handle that pretty easily.

My skin is pretty damn sensitive too. Takes a few weeks for the skin to adjust but it's worth it, less of a pain than razor shaving which would give me rashes and stuff. You can use the panasonics wet or dry. I use mine dry, but nothing to stop you using it in the shower or the sink with cream/gel to make it a bit smoother.

A shaver consultant, haha. I dunno, they just work for me and I've stuck with them. I'd rather a good shave rather gimicks like self cleaning and stuff - takes a 2 secs rinse under water to clean anyway.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK

Mate, fellow wog here. FORGET agout ANY electric shavers.

Talking from experience........

Razor and foam all the way.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

When using a razor the trick is to get the skin warm enough to open the hair folicle enough, soften the hair, so the hair is pulled up more so it it can be cut and retract below the skin surface. (then you will pass the cigarette paper test)
The actuall quality of the razor is the real killer. Cheap disposables equal cheap shave, and the irritation that goes with it.
Thou I don use one, a cut throat razor is the only type of blade that will give perfect results.
Persanally never been a fan of the electrics.

For the poor razor burn sufferer's try natural aloe vera shave gel, no chemicals or foaming agents that cause further irritation.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #23
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

I bought a top of the range philishave a coupla years back, one you can use in the shower. It damaged my skin and gave me a horrible rash for more than 6 months. I've been using a double edged razor for the last 3 years and couldn't be happier. The razor cost me 30 bucks and blades are like 10 bucks for 10 from Wilkinson and last me for months.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've got my own method. Just go over it with the clippers once in a while! lol

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #25
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fellers fellers
i save lots of water i just dont shave ( almost got the hole bikey thing going should own a harley )
but truth of the matter is im elergic to disposables i need to use a cut throat or simular and is hard enough just to shave letalone get the shaving gear

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #26
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
I bought a top of the range philishave a coupla years back, one you can use in the shower. It damaged my skin and gave me a horrible rash for more than 6 months. I've been using a double edged razor for the last 3 years and couldn't be happier. The razor cost me 30 bucks and blades are like 10 bucks for 10 from Wilkinson and last me for months.
Reminds me of my Dad's shaver! Mum still has it I bet, and I reckon there'd be a few new blades lying around also. Might have to give it a go. Ah the old Wilkinson Swords! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #27
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

A cheap conditioner can be used as a non-foamy shaving gel replacement.
$2 for a 500mL bottle. You just need to rinse the razor out in a little water. It also makes the hair softer and is easier to shave.
For those with the sensitive skin, buying a slightly better conditioner marketed for dandruff or 'extra moisture' ones are good because they moisturise as well, but in a very manly way of course! :P

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #28
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

think i might need some one to help me shave my sensitive area ( chin ) _2:
but im actualy eligic to some thinf they use in the plastics not shaving it self

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #29
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

A splash of hot water and a razor do the job nicely. Seriously there is more water in a cup than I would use having a shave. I have tough skin though and can shave with no water at all, just my trusty Schick Quattro.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Closed Thread