Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Jab
Shockwave BAMKII XR6T

Question First BAD review I have seen on an XR6T

This is the first bad review I have seen on an XR6T

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2650971.aspx

yet they glow about the value of the 'base' model with the current deals.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2678585.aspx

Now I don't have a problem with the current value, expecially with whats else is on offer ! The XR6T article seems all over the place in my humble opinion.

Thoughts ???

Jim

PS - I would have bought an FPV as suggested in the article but could only afford the 6T, which I am happy with.

Jab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

No surprise, carpoint have a history of hating Ford and loving Holden. Yeah the car is getting dated but reading into some of the points this author has presented he would need an S class or Lexus to please him. He should stick to his volvo.......
Old 13-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The beauty of journalism is that you can ignore it, and that it is one person's opinion. Unfortunately, that one person's opinion is often governed by the stance of his organisation, which Redrum suggested.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
sexr6tasy
Banned

how dare the xr6t begin to feel like an oldish car for shame lmao
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Nickxb
XB in progress

He does make some valid points though, i would love a boot liner on my xr6...... although most of the articale is just a bit picky.
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Have they deleted the vanity mirror covers on the BFII. Both of my vanity mirrors are covered on my BAII XT.

Just sounds like that particular car had been given a hard time and had some fit and finish issues. And the writer thinks it should have the build quality of the $100,000+ european car that it's performance rivals.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who is this author? That is an appallingly petty piece of journalism. He lost me with the mirrors being too small!
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL @ the XR6T supposedly being 200kg lighter than the XR8.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I think the traction control in my XR6 is pretty damn good and annoying at times :
Old 13-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Ford_V8

"The central storage bin has only one level and isn't lockable"

*GASP*!
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Its a very strange article; almost like he had decided he did like the car before seeing it, then had to find things to justify the opinion.

The engine and driveline in an XR6T deserves a lot more than just a throw-away couple of lines too.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Seems like he spent hours looking through the interior and 2 minutes driving it. Thats one of the lamest car reviews i've seen. Its supposed to be about how it drives, not about how the glovebox doesn't have a lock.

As for the comment about small mirrors. WTF. I've been in and out of BA's and BF's for a few years now and have never even noticed the mirrors being too small. I think they are fine. I bet he thinks the massive A pillars on the VE are fine though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Funny that this tool is against the driver aids such as ABS etc, yet every other reviewer complains about driver aids kicking in too early to spoil the fun. Perhaps as one poster already suggested, this latte sipping, chardonnay swilling, **** smokin butt fugger stick to his volvo 240 GLE.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
jonk

This line:

"We found the exterior mirrors, while stylish, were too small. The central storage bin has only one level and isn't lockable, and the central info screen displays details about the heating and sound system -- but not the trip computer functions, which are in another screen in the instrument binnacle. Furthermore, the graphics of the main instruments are too busy and aren't easy to read at a glance."

Sorry all, but I have to agree with him(Steve Kealy). Call me a pounce. Ford/Holden should have copied the Japs ages ago with the split central binnacle with lock(think about it after a break in & the glovebox is locked but full, where else then for secure storage ?), display stuff is 'all over the shop' and the graphics are busy looking, it always got me how Ford tried to do 'minimalist' style graphics on the speedo but it just looked wrong. Drive an Aurion then go back to a Falcon, it's like the Aurion has truck mirror's !

Sorry but just airing what I see when I drive newer large model cars in my travels.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't think the review was THAT bad...although the car deserved more than 2.5 out of 5 in the rating.

I mean would your standard XR6T purchaser give a crap if the mirrors are too small
(ever driven a Porsche) or the gloveboxdosn't lock - I wouldn'd, I'd just care how it hard it accelerates, otherwise buy a Camry...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
This line:

"We found the exterior mirrors, while stylish, were too small. The central storage bin has only one level and isn't lockable, and the central info screen displays details about the heating and sound system -- but not the trip computer functions, which are in another screen in the instrument binnacle. Furthermore, the graphics of the main instruments are too busy and aren't easy to read at a glance."

Sorry all, but I have to agree with him(Steve Kealy). Call me a pounce. Ford/Holden should have copied the Japs ages ago with the split central binnacle with lock(think about it after a break in & the glovebox is locked but full, where else then for secure storage ?), display stuff is 'all over the shop' and the graphics are busy looking, it always got me how Ford tried to do 'minimalist' style graphics on the speedo but it just looked wrong. Drive an Aurion then go back to a Falcon, it's like the Aurion has truck mirror's !

Sorry but just airing what I see when I drive newer large model cars in my travels.
After driving a Territory for 2 weeks then jumping back into the falcon i found the mirrors in the falcon very inadequate. As for the instrument panel, meh i don't find it too bad. The hazard light placement is an afterthought though as is the pathetic placement of the cupholders, I have an auto and it is a nightmare when you have two bottles in the cup holders, selecting drive, i'd hate to imagine what it is like driving a manual. Very bad ergonomic design.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #17
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
.........Ford/Holden should have copied the Japs ages ago with the split central binnacle with lock(think about it after a break in & the glovebox is locked but full, where else then for secure storage ?).....

Unless you have a welded-in floor safe, locked glove boxes and central storage compartments aren't going to deter thieves from stealing your valuables.

As the police say ... "locks only keep honest people out".

Personally, I never leave anything valuable in the cabin.

As for the rest of that Carpoint review ... It's not good enough to use for toilet paper in a bush dunny.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #18
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Some interest points.

All the bits he wanted were in a Fairmont. Did he drive a Fairmont first and think he'd be getting that in an XR6T? That's the impression i got.

Certainly, the bootliner is a Fairmont part. Displaying trip stuff on the Auto-Climate control ICC is Fairmont stuff.

The Mirrors was an interesting point. Those mirrors are carried over from the AU so they have been around for absolutely ages. But getting my XR into the shed is much easier than getting the Territory in. However, I can't knock the idea of having larger mirrors.

Locked compartments? There's a lockable underseat compartment in the Tezza - and I never use it. I don't even lock the glovebox. But would I lock a centre console if it were an option? Probably not. Maybe he should be pushing window-curtains that close when the car is parked. Seems a bit anal in the security stakes. But hey, I don't hate the idea.

And you're never going to get consensus on DSC. Some people hate it being intrusive until after you 'just' break traction. Others want it to kick in much sooner. Maybe the only way is to have different levels of DSC. This one we have to cop sweet.

I also think we just have to be resigned to the fact that this guy wanted this to be his 'critical' review. We're probably more scathing of reviewers that are always wishy washy and every car has great handling and good performance - right?

Lukeyson
Old 14-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #19
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

As far as the small mirrors go I'm happy with them. They're larger than my previous ef's mirrors. If he thinks their small he should jump back into a 70's x-series. The first time I drove my ZF Fairlane after driving modern cars for the last 5 years I thought the mirrors were absolutly useless. They're tiny!

I sort of agree about the boot liner. Why dont all Falcons have them? Both my previous rides were base models, an EA GL and EF Gli and had full boot lid liners so why has Ford dropped them now?

Can't comment on the DSC, my BA doesnt even have traction control or a LSD lol.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #20
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

I think he totally missed out on the whole entry level performance car thing.

Having said that whats with Fords penny pinching?

Plus the BF ES Falcon review was good, having driven the BF Futura and VE Omega back to back on a circut, I seriously don't know what the VE fuss is all about!

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #21
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
I have an auto and it is a nightmare when you have two bottles in the cup holders, selecting drive, i'd hate to imagine what it is like driving a manual. Very bad ergonomic design.

I've got a mnaual and it's a nightmare, if there are 2 bottles i have to drive with my arm at right angles from the roof.

Thats the only problem i got. I love my car and for the money wouldn't have anything else.

My mirrors are perfect and my dash lights up blue (how can someone not like blue leds)

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The only thing he got right was lack of paint / panel quality.

Ford is having a hard time at the moment with paint / panel allignment, not sure why but the quality has definately gone backwards from the AU / Early BA days...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post