Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Non-Ford service .. not impressed

Just got vehicle back from service today. I specifically asked them to NOT change the oil/filter, 'cos I was changing it myself more regularly. So, what do they do? Dropped the oil! They ended up not touching the filter and didn't charge me for the oil .. but I hopped in the car tonight and fired it up (cold) and it's rattling like a coffee can full of rocks. I've driven it for about 10min and I can still hear strange noises. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have to change it back to the grade of oil I was using before (15w/40 SJ/CF) instead of the 20w/50 whatever they have put in it ... more money.
... why can't people execute simple instructions???

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
xd5.8l
Banned

service it yourself mate and if your not sure about something ask. Its not a sin if you don't know something but want to learn, its never to late!
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Jet-Star

Get a re-fund... Take it up with the business owner... I never settle for anything short of what I asked for.. Go back, get the manager by the ear and tell him they didn't listen and have ended up costing you more money (more oil) and posible engine damage (using oil that is obviously too thin if your getting nocks) and that if they don't refund the full amount your going to drag him round back and nock his teeth in.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aww .. F-me! That noise was so bad that last night when I got home from work I changed the oil AGAIN. I was scared to run it any longer like that. Immediate improvement. Problem this morning is that "warm" running now sounds like big-end noise?! What the hell is happening here???

.. think I'll have to take this to the tech forum ..

Anyone know a *GOOD* mechanic in Bendigo????????
Old 28-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Aww .. F-me! That noise was so bad that last night when I got home from work I changed the oil AGAIN. I was scared to run it any longer like that. Immediate improvement. Problem this morning is that "warm" running now sounds like big-end noise?! What the hell is happening here???

Gees mate, what kinda car are we talking about here??
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Gees mate, what kinda car are we talking about here??
One of those very delicate and fragile AU 5.0L ..
Old 29-06-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:

where did you go to?
i know a couple of decent one in bendigo
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only mechanic i have found that actually does what i want them to has been Hattam Street Tyre & Mechanical (Ph 5442 2577). Ask for Chris or Vic, they've always looked after my cars.

So who was the mechanic that did this to your car?
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive given up on geting my cars serviced I do it my self now, I recentyl (an the last time I pay some one) had my BA serviced at the local ford dealer for its 90000 circus ajust the han brake (again) and sort out the airbag light (again) they ring me and tell me it needs 4 tyres (thats fine I new they were on there way out just figured they had another 6months) so I get them replaced they tell me it all so needs front and rear brakes I tell them no on the brakes as I only had replaced the fronts 30,000 ago after they toldd me I needed them at the 60,000 service I had already purchased the padds so I fitted them to save taking it apart again, i picked hte car up the hand brake was still up arround my arm pits so i told them then an there I wouldd be back the next day for them to fix it properly this time, andd on the way home the air bag light came on (again) any how the next day they fixed the hand brake and air bag tried ot charge me for a hand brake shoe I refused as it has been ajusted by them every service since new. The next weekendd after pickign up front and rear pads I put the car up in the air looked at the fronts which are not even 50% worn so I leave them then I looked at the rear which are at best 75% worn I replace them any how and deside to get the isc's skimed as they are a bit ratty an bugger me if the iiot at the forsdealer hasnt woun the hand brake on so hard its bound to the disc I cant simpy wind off the park brake becasue hte idiot diddnt line up the holes in the disc with the axle, I struggledd an finaly got them off compleate the job an rang the service department at the FORD dealer that carried out the circus who told me that I didnt know what I was talking about as these discs didnt have any holes for backign off the hand brake, the funny thing is I lined the holes up when I put it back together and addjusted the hark brake correctly this time.

THe moral is alot of work shops consider an oil and filter change a service and there team of 5 apprentises to 1 mechanic walk arround with blinkers on doing just that because they dont know much better, I know this because I did my apprentiship at such a dealer ship I diddnt learn a thing till I left that place and worked in a small shop with guys that new there stuff. If I have offended any ddealership mechanics I appologise and hope you are of a bread that is different to what I have encountered in the past but I know that after taking my car back to the sales dealer since new and never once havign the car back "right" I'll just do it my self from now on as it takes les time than arguing with the clowns at the counter to get the job done again.

Javelin do the serivce your self you'll save money and end up with a better car and hay you might just learn a thing or 2
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
mrgo40rd

im a mechanic and have worked in large workshops yes some shonkys go on i still work in a dealership but a smaller workshop (prestige vehicles) we are very carefull and we take our time on each job considering a service and timing belt can cost the customer up to $1200-$1800 i have pleanty of friends that call me and have been told it will cost big dollars to fix there car and have been lied to eg female friend took her au to ford pwr steer leak told $815 to fix for new high pressure hose and told pwr steer pump leaking i had a look only hose leaking got a aftermarket part for $47 and fitted it saved her $700 now that makes me angry

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you asked them not to do something then ring them and ask why they did....if you get no where use a bit of intelligent threatening (always gets what you want the first time) and tell them to cover the cost if there is any damage, or to fix it
if its happened after they touched it then they should fix it shouldnt they?

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Just do it your self, it's not that hard, I run shell plus 20w/50 in mine and I don't have a problem at all, I do all my own oil changes, it's quite easy.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Just do it your self, it's not that hard, I run shell plus 20w/50 in mine and I don't have a problem at all, I do all my own oil changes, it's quite easy.
Yep .. so do I now. That was the problem .. they changed it (again) after I already did it!!!