Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NSW - P-Plate ban on mobile phones

this is a scheduled News item fpr tonight. P-platers will, apparently, be banned from using mobile phones while driving even if a hands-free device is used.
Only mention of it I can find online at present is at http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegr...plate_reforms/

In an attempt to improve gaffer tape sales, the next step wil be to ban p-platers from talking while driving. Or give them zero passengers. What happens if you have an imaginary friend or talk to yourself.

I wonder how the police would react to a fake mobile phone strapped to your ear?

Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Really its starting to get beyond a joke. Luckily I just got on my opens last year. Its seriously not going to change how many raod deaths there are, if some p platers want to use the phone they will

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Really its starting to get beyond a joke. Luckily I just got on my opens last year. Its seriously not going to change how many raod deaths there are, if some p platers want to use the phone they will

Exactly right. They banned semi automatic fire arms, yet if someone wants to go on a killing spree, you think a ban on the weapons will stop them?
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only applies to 1st year (red) p-platers apparently. Other recommendations (only at this stage) are a restriction to 1 passenger between 11pm and 5 am and loss of license for any speeding offense.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
Exactly right. They banned semi automatic fire arms, yet if someone wants to go on a killing spree, you think a ban on the weapons will stop them?
too true. remember the Monash shooting. they went and banned more calibres of handguns after that. yet all the crimes are being commited with illegal guns. go figure.

thankfully in 10 months ill be off my greens. touchwood.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should be extended to all drivers. A car is for driving not for talking on the phone or beauty appointment (for the ladies ;) ).
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

get punished for having a mobile in your car... i always talk on the loud speaker never have a problem... shows they cannot patrol everything...

does talking on your mobile make you any worse? why don't they stop you from talking to your passengers? oh thats right.... lol.

soon they'll try punish you for changing a station on your sterio...

last few news stories are getting ridiculous ... 0 points for P platers? one mistake and you're out, even the full licensed drivers make mistakes, you're still learning to drive when you're on your P's ... you won't get much learning on your P's if you get your license taken away from you all the time lol.

now you can't have mobile in the car?

some laws are justified, but if you have no mobile and you break down somewhere you're screwed ! :
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Tougher measures, beyond this, will only occur after the next NSW election.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Tougher measures, beyond this, will only occur after the next NSW election.

I have somewhat noticed that you like to hang around the p plater threads. Yet I can never really work out which side of the argument you are on.

Anyway, another thing, banning sending text messages is %110 understandable, due to the fact that you are constantly taking your eyes off the roads to see what you are writing on the phone. But talking on a hands free kit is almost the same as talking to someone sitting next to you. I feel sorry for when I have kids, don't even want to begin to imagine what the laws will be like then.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
I have somewhat noticed that you like to hang around the p plater threads. Yet I can never really work out which side of the argument you are on.
I think some regulations are ok, but some are also a bit too much, but in saying that; none of this affects me. :P ... i just hope it never does.. damn minority of drivers ruin a lot of things :P

keepleft is right though, it can only get tougher
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I understand it he is a Motor Advocate or whatever it is. I think he adds a lot of input to this forum IMO although maybe verbose at times :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

There coming out with some interisting concepts up there, wonder how lonng before the morons down here in Vic try to go one step better, there always dying to bring in more regulations.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
infusion

would it affect all current p platers or only new ones from a certain date?
infusion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by infusion
would it affect all current p platers or only new ones from a certain date?
There going to find it hard enforcing it at all, let alone seperating it like that!

Feel sorry for the stupid stuff coppers have to enforce some times :
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

so when i have my moblie on speaker phone, they flash the lights and pull me over. i end the call and put it in the centre console. "officer i was singing with the radio, prove i wasnt"

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
so when i have my moblie on speaker phone, they flash the lights and pull me over. i end the call and put it in the centre console. "officer i was singing with the radio, prove i wasnt"
They'll just check your phone and look at the time of call details for recieved, dialed and call duration details.....

Old 09-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
They'll just check your phone and look at the time of call details for recieved, dialed and call duration details.....
probably. I think there is some provision in the law now to inspect mobile phone records after an accident.

As far as things getting tougher after the next election - I think they will. my understanding is that the liberals are considering tougher restrictions on p-platers than the current govt.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
probably. I think there is some provision in the law now to inspect mobile phone records after an accident.

As far as things getting tougher after the next election - I think they will. my understanding is that the liberals are considering tougher restrictions on p-platers than the current govt.
Ok, either way if its in a car its open slather, police have full powers to search a car and its occupants.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
mrgo40rd

maybe if p platers learnt not to cut people off pass on the freeway doing more than the posted limit (yes its not hard) be abit more patient and sit in one lane not chop and change the police might not pick on you ohh poor p platers when you have 20years under your belt and you look back you will be saying the same thing for god sake its not hard

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd
maybe if p platers learnt not to cut people off pass on the freeway doing more than the posted limit (yes its not hard) be abit more patient and sit in one lane not chop and change the police might not pick on you ohh poor p platers when you have 20years under your belt and you look back you will be saying the same thing for god sake its not hard

And of course none of these drivers with 20 years experience do that now do they...
Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #21
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd

I say it with 14 years under my belt. The F3 is where many of the morons come out. When I had my XR6, I had P Platers in Corollas try to overtake me. Note I said try. Then they just merge in on you without looking...

I feel sorry for the good P Platers (I know there has to be at least one of them), as they are being swept under the same rug as the P Platers that don't have a clue. It's a shame.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #22
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst it annoys the **** out of me to see ditsy young girls chatting away on their phones (or even the guys), there's still times when I need to answer my phone (on handsfree that is).. I suppose I agree with it if it will cut down crashes (I think Vic's banned them already anyway? I always look out for coppers when i get a call), it's just a shame that people ruin it for everyone else..
I saw a p plater chick today reversing out of a carpark in her little excel whilst laughing and chatting on the phone.. She didn't look around or anything, even though there's kids and other (my) cars right there (which she almost hit).
Mer.
Where am I going with this, I duno.. People are just **** sometimes, lol.
PS.. If you didn't know, i'm on P's, lol.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #23
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
does talking on your mobile make you any worse? why don't they stop you from talking to your passengers?
The only accident I had in Sydney was being hit by someone on hands-free. She was obviously too distracted by her call as there was no way it should have happened!! Whilst rare, they do happen and for some reason, phone calls tend to be more distracting than passengers.

Especially from my personal experience growing up and learning how to drive, you need minimal distractions. Looking back at how I went whilst learning I'm glad mobile phones weren't common. How did we ever cope with out them???

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #24
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

I think it should extend to smoking...Anything that takes your eyes off the road or diverts your attention directly shouldn't be allowed
Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #25
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So mobiles are already banned, so they ban handsfree. Although I agree you should not be on a mobile whilst driving, I also think this law will do jack all.

Every single day that I drive I see AT LEAST 2 or more people happily chatting on their mobile phone whilst behind the wheel and guess what - almost always they look young (under 25) and have a P plate on the back (both guys and girls). I just think they (p platers) seem to have zero respect for the rules. See the problem here? They are already breaking the rules but where the hell are the police? Too busy hiding behind bushes I would assume...

Laws are nothing if no-one enforces them.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #26
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets ban driving all together and for everyone. And have pedestrian speed cameras monitored by 3rd parties.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #27
all4ford
XW 351

A quick question, of the holiday road toll in which 60+ died, how many were p-platers? Honest question as I'm curious as to what percentage are dieing on the roads to what percentage are driving. We've seen statistics saying p-platers are more likely to have an accident but are they that much more likely to have a fatality? Anyone? KeepLeft?
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #28
KaptnKaos
KAOS IS RANDOM ORDER

Here's an idea ............. Why don't we start teaching the kids how to drive instead of just teaching them how to pass the licence test?

My son will not be permitted to get his licence till he can convince me he can drive safely & responsibly.
KaptnKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #29
andrewts
White Car Driver

Once I get my liscence I believe I will be having Roadcraft courses.

But I don't even get my L Plates until July! : (I'm in year 11 this year, w00t!) :
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #30
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Banning phones, a passenger curfew and no second chance for demerit points are all good ideas imho.. Remember getting your license is a privilege and should be taken as a growing experience in your life.. I know when I was 17 getting my license was the biggest thing on the earth, I wouldn't of cared what restrictions they imposed on me so long as I could drive myself to work or the girlfriends place etc and leave the mothers nest as an independent so to speak.. P Platers these days assume they have the right and experience to cope with driving.. It is a shame that it isn't harder to get the card in the first place.. Then people might start to respect it again.

From a parental p.o.v I'm sure the less distractions and more stringent policing of inexperienced drivers would help a few mums and dads sleep a little easier at night.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post