Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 
Default V power racing

I have finally found a servo in e/ suburbs of melb that sell the new V-power RACING 100 octane shell premium. I have been using it for a while now and am very impressed with the results.
I'd like to see if anyone thinks the same!!!!
I had a run with a few BA's now and even modefied ones and I have been pulling away from them in a big way and my fairmont is bog stock, With 3 fat boys in it at times.
I have also noticed more throttle response and better starting AND better econemy by .8 of a litre per 100 kays even though I was giving it heaps. And no my ave. speed is still the same .
Is it just me or is this fuel delivering what it claims. Ill be running it on my mates dyno this sat and ill tell ya what im getting with it compared to the last dyno i had.
This shell premium has removed the additive that was giving them so much grief in the optimax and has replaced it with 5% ethanol and other additives to overcome that red colour that was getting on the plugs and fouling them.
Can anyone give me some feedback or am I just imagining it.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I have had good results with the extreme 100.
All fuels are coloured differently to distinguish them,I dont think it has to do with an octane booster,look at the fill/dipstick markers,they are coloured similarly..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i noticed differeces in petrol in my old EL...

if i went above 98 ron it would ping its head off :(
Old 14-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I have had good results with the extreme 100.
All fuels are coloured differently to distinguish them,I dont think it has to do with an octane booster,look at the fill/dipstick markers,they are coloured similarly..
ohh the red that was getting on the insulator nose of the spark plugs after using optimax for extended periods is actually Pherosene which is a cheap additive they used to raise octane and to stabilise the fuel. This had a habit of fouling plugs.
Actually BMW in europe have lodged a multi million dollar claim for what optimax was doing to their motorbikes. So that is one of the main reasons they have changed their formula to try to get some confidence back in their product by using the more expensive additive of ethanol.
Full race fuel that we buy in 20l drums for our race car 9Super sedan is a martini racing 104 with 10% ethanol as the prime octane booster additive. You try and tell race guys that ethanol is **** those race guys will send ya packing
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #5
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put some in a mates XR5 Turbo Focus i had the other night, and it did make a noticeable difference to the 95 that was in it when i picked it up. Was pretty low when i filled it so whatever 95 that was left in the tank was well diluted.

I asked him what he thought of it when i dropped the car back, and he noticed a difference as well so has been running it.

Think the only place people are going to notice any real differences is in turbo's or supercharged application as far as performance goes.

Didn't make bugger all difference in my BA
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

how much dearer is it?
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

i noticed a slight increase in acceleration power, got a bit more k's out of the tank, but all the servos around my area have run short of supply wish they'd hurry up and restock :
Old 14-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I am of the opinion that Optimax Extreme, Ultimate or whatever they called it (the 100 octane fuel) is quite crap. My reasoning is that a mate has a 300ZX twin turbo and it runs like **** on it (actually runs better on vanilla 91 unleaded than the 100) and my XF doesn't run right on it also. Thats my 5 cents worth.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
how much dearer is it?
Normally 98RON fuels are 10c/litre more than ULP. V-Power Racing is 17c/litre more than ULP.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
mrgo40rd

i found it gives me better fuel economy

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #11
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
ohh the red that was getting on the insulator nose of the spark plugs after using optimax for extended periods is actually Pherosene which is a cheap additive they used to raise octane and to stabilise the fuel. This had a habit of fouling plugs.
Actually BMW in europe have lodged a multi million dollar claim for what optimax was doing to their motorbikes. So that is one of the main reasons they have changed their formula to try to get some confidence back in their product by using the more expensive additive of ethanol.
Audi, Merc, VW have all advised the customers not to use Optimax.. In the UK only.. Fuel was causing premature engine failure.. Boom

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
Normally 98RON fuels are 10c/litre more than ULP. V-Power Racing is 17c/litre more than ULP.
hmm.... that'd make it just under $1.30 a litre up here...... dammit, i wish they'd get some in!
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
TZAKHAMMER
TZAKHAMMER

sounds to me like it not worth the hassle in the long run
Old 14-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #14
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

I have noticed a difference in performance between optimax and their new 98ron, the new 98ron has similar performance to bp ultimate so a definate improvement there.
As for the new shell 100ron, i put a tank throught the ts50 and have noticed no difference to there 98ron, power or economy. Maybe if the my windsor was dyno tuned with the 100ron it there would probably a small gain there, for me definately not worth the extra 17cents per litre extra imo.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
I have noticed a difference in performance between optimax and their new 98ron, the new 98ron has similar performance to bp ultimate so a definate improvement there.
As for the new shell 100ron, i put a tank throught the ts50 and have noticed no difference to there 98ron, power or economy. Maybe if the my windsor was dyno tuned with the 100ron it there would probably a small gain there, for me definately not worth the extra 17cents per litre extra imo.
Its not 17c a litre more than 98.
I have found it makes as much if not more power than avgas in my engine,which has fairly high compression..
Old 14-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #16
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
This shell premium has removed the additive that was giving them so much grief in the optimax and has replaced it with 5% ethanol
Didn't Optimax Extreme always had 5% ethanol?? I personally am very skeptic about it and think it's just a way to grab more $$.

I don't think there will be any noticable (to the driver's feel) improvement over their 98RON petrol in performance or economy (esspecially for the increased cost) other than just a placebo, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong. For every person that says "it's worked great for me" there's someone else who says the opposite, so it'd be good if they ran a conclusive test one day.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #17
rushing on acid

ive used diffeent fuels in my xy and these are my findings:

shell.
optimax (blue stuff)- fouled plugs, ran like crap, cold start was the worst, bugger all fuel economy
optimax extreme (5% ethanol)- same as optimax but less power, bugger all fuel economy

bp.
premuim- car ran smooth, pinged a tiny bit up top, very good cold start, good power.
ultimate- car runs very smooth, excellent fuel economy, never fouls plugs, never pings, more power.

caltex.
standard vortex- same as ultimate except it doesnt get the same fuel economy.
vortex 98- same as optimax extreme.

mobil.
8000- same as vortex, but occasionaly fouls plugs.

united fuels
boost98.- what can i say about this crap!
good points- best fuel economy out of all of them
bad points - everything as above but fouls plugs like there is no tommorrow!
i went through 36 spark plugs in one tank! bloody disgracefull
fuel, it should be banned from being sold anywhwere in the
world!

that is what i have to say about the fuels of australia! these are my opinions from my own findings, i have used all fuels except for boost98 for 3 tankfulls and they are the conclusions for me. if anyone else has different opinions of these fuels, i would like to read about them.
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #18
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Its not 17c a litre more than 98.
I have found it makes as much if not more power than avgas in my engine,which has fairly high compression..
yeah my mistake, what fuel do you normally use?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #19
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
yeah my mistake, what fuel do you normally use?
I used to use optimax 98 or BP 98,couldnt tell a difference car ran clean with both,we tested extreme 100 against avgas on the dyno and backed it up at the track,we ran avgas on the circuit only to protect the engine,as we pull out of corners at low revs..
Old 15-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #20
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushing on acid
ive used diffeent fuels in my xy and these are my findings:

shell.
optimax (blue stuff)- fouled plugs, ran like crap, cold start was the worst, bugger all fuel economy
optimax extreme (5% ethanol)- same as optimax but less power, bugger all fuel economy

bp.
premuim- car ran smooth, pinged a tiny bit up top, very good cold start, good power.
ultimate- car runs very smooth, excellent fuel economy, never fouls plugs, never pings, more power.

caltex.
standard vortex- same as ultimate except it doesnt get the same fuel economy.
vortex 98- same as optimax extreme.

mobil.
8000- same as vortex, but occasionaly fouls plugs.

united fuels
boost98.- what can i say about this crap!
good points- best fuel economy out of all of them
bad points - everything as above but fouls plugs like there is no tommorrow!
i went through 36 spark plugs in one tank! bloody disgracefull
fuel, it should be banned from being sold anywhwere in the
world!

that is what i have to say about the fuels of australia! these are my opinions from my own findings, i have used all fuels except for boost98 for 3 tankfulls and they are the conclusions for me. if anyone else has different opinions of these fuels, i would like to read about them.
so BP fuel would be the best?

that united fuels dont sound real good 36 spark plugs stuff that

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #21
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I have to agree on the claim that the BP fuels are the best of the bunch. Case in point, last fuel up I poured BP 95 (approx 20L) and got 145km out of it. Prior to that, I (rather regrettably) put in similar amount of Caltex Vortex and only got 115km out of it. This is stop go bullplop city driving.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post