Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
TallicA

Default Quick detailer question

Hey guys not sure if this is the right place

but i kind of get sick of detailing the XR parking it in the drive way going to sleep and waking up to a nice thin layer of dust all over it, was just wondering if something like maguires quik detail is safe to just spray on and wipe the dust off without a wash. Or would the dust scratch the paint/clear coat?

cheers

TallicA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

check out waxit.com. they are a site sponsor. you will find them if you scroll down to the sponsors section and they are right down the bottom.

i bought a californian car duster off them a while back for that exact reason. guaranteed not to scratch.

meguiars actually do one as well. looks same and same principle.

mine works a treat. obviously not a substitute for washing the car but it does prolong the gap between washes. i give it a quick wipe over every day or every couple of days and give it a quick detail when needed as the duster can occasionally leave a bit of a residue.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallicA
waking up to a nice thin layer of dust all over it
three options..
don't go to sleep.
hire some big scary butch security woman to tell the dust to 'move along, or else'
check out Waxits products in their section/forum area
Old 13-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
but i kind of get sick of detailing the XR parking it in the drive way going to sleep and waking up to a nice thin layer of dust all over it, was just wondering if something like maguires quik detail is safe to just spray on and wipe the dust off without a wash. Or would the dust scratch the paint/clear coat?
cheers
Common sense is your best Friend, if its a fine baby powder layer of dust and you use a clean quality MF cloth then you should be fine, if its caked on or you use the same dirty cloth for 3 years expect some swirls.

#3 for see Dave @ Waxit
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
mrgo40rd

try mequires waterless car wash they have a car hand mop takes off dust with no dramas you can get the packs for around 40 dollars

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

cheers
I bought the Meguiars body duster a few months ago for this purpose..seems to work fine removong fine dust...Nothing worse than giving your car the once over spending hours in the process then the next day seeing it dusty again. Your car's not Silhouette by any chance?

As a few of the above posts say, waxit.com has some super soft microfibre clothes which are excellent. They also sell some great quik detail sprays too
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I agree with the dust mop they work really well. One suggestion though is not to use it if there is dampness in the air as it tends to turn the dust into mud and smears. I have had mine now (an original) for at least 10 yrs or more, I'm gonna have to give it a wash soon though it's starting to put more dust on than taking it off.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

I have the same problem, spent an hour or two washing the car one day, the next it was covered in Kalgoorlie's famous red dust.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
TallicA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
Your car's not Silhouette by any chance?
nope its a vibe
and thanx for the replies why didnt i think of it before hand... much appreciated. might order a duster today and keep it cccccccclllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn nnnnn. kinda makes me depressed seeing it covered in dust :(
TallicA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post