Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
mrgo40rd

Default Automotive Trade (getting Out)

Well ive had enought ive only worked in the automotive trade as a mechanic for the past seven years but ive had enought.firstly the money is crap you do a trade work on crap apprentice wages and at the end you dont earn much better. the award is $15.65 a hour (what a joke) its a skilled job.thank god i earn slightly more than that.you work your guts out for a company making them around 5k-6k a week in services and you take home $550 and you work dam hard for it.why would you wont to do a trade as a mechanic i must say you do have a great skill at the end but nobody wants to pay good money.well thats my ***** i wonder if anybody else has the same feelings as me.

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Where were you working if you don't mind me asking?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
mrgo40rd

dealerships -mitso - alfa - subaru

www.ftf.org.au
Old 30-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
irsa76
Snoopping

Been there, done that and got out. Now a courier. One problem though, keep thinking about getting back in!
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

with your skills, what's the alternative? is there more money in opening your own workshop? I guess you could have a total change of direction, but as you say you have learned skills and are good at it. I'm not a mechanic, but understand what you are saying, just am interested in what other options you have.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tuner & Machinist?

Engineering?
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
MON10A

apply for jobs at mines,pick where you want to live and earn $$$ im on 85500+ super,most are screaming for people experienced or not
MON10A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
mrgo40rd

opening a workshop is expensive looking at getting into the freight industry more money more chances of moving up the ladder a mate is helping me get a job i can earn more in 3 days than a week as a mechanic

www.ftf.org.au
Old 30-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd
Well ive had enought ive only worked in the automotive trade as a mechanic for the past seven years but ive had enought.firstly the money is crap you do a trade work on crap apprentice wages and at the end you dont earn much better. the award is $15.65 a hour (what a joke) its a skilled job.thank god i earn slightly more than that.you work your guts out for a company making them around 5k-6k a week in services and you take home $550 and you work dam hard for it.why would you wont to do a trade as a mechanic i must say you do have a great skill at the end but nobody wants to pay good money.well thats my ***** i wonder if anybody else has the same feelings as me.
Im hearing you mate, not that im a mechanic but it seems like pretty hard work for a fully qualified tradesman of seven years experience to taking home $550 a week in Sydney after working your guts out & billing out 5k to 6k a week. Hope you got something to go too? Or you just walking without another job to go too? If its the later is that the best decision :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I know what your on about mate....
I cant believe how bad the money is in the industry. You guys that are qualified have put in 4 or so years of learning, practical experience etc should be getting more than the kid flipping burgers at mcdonalds does.
There is simply no incentive for anyone to jump into the trade or to work at full steam when you are getting paid peanuts.

One word of advice, dont look into the Transport Industry, I am looking at getting out of it soon, It WAS good about 2 years ago, but too many new law's are being passed and making it harder and harder to do your job.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

by the way, i dont roll out of bed for under $250, I dont know how you guys do it. Honestly.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Pretty ****poor whne you consider what your boss would be charging you out at..
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pick up some HD Diesel units at Tafe and hit the mines, 100K+ easy and you will do less work.

I am a Mechanical fitter (3rd year) working in the Metro aria; soon as my time is up I will be Dust.

Got a mate who works for Chevron Texaco as a Fitter in WA, works 6 months of the year and that’s not including his annual leave and makes easy double what I do, Man I hate him for it, thou I what him to 2 tee me up a Job so I am nice LOL.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #14
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
by the way, i dont roll out of bed for under $250, I dont know how you guys do it. Honestly.
Sounds like you have got a job rolling around in bed for $250 rofl. :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
BlackBa

Dont get me goin on the crap wages , started in 1966 as an apprentice on 6pound per week.Got out in 1980 to do sales.Its a job i love but you coudnt live on the wage.Cleaners get better money. JCXR
BlackBa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #16
LUXO_8
windsor user

while im not a mechanic i am in the auto industry, been there 7 years and will be getting out this year.............
being full time employed on apprentice type wages sucks the big one
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #17
Miller
It's Millertime!

I always tried to convince my mate to leave cars as his hobby rather than his occupation.

He didn't listen and is now regretting is $300 a week apprentice wages.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #18
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
I always tried to convince my mate to leave cars as his hobby rather than his occupation.

i learned that my self i started an apprenticeship in the auto industry, 5 months in i thought stuff this, i like working on cars as a hobby and at my own pace but not under this pressure and deadlines. and $240 a week, no wonder i quit.
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller

Not the 1st case of this i have heard of, a mate of mine loved cars, did the same thing, just under a year later quit, bad wages, bad treatment and started hating his only real passion.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #20
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Diesel shops are screaming out for mechanics, but make the switch now.
There are massive recruitment drives in schools and TAFE's to get kids into the diesel trades to counteract the shortfall. Get in the diesels now and get yourself established. Even working in a truck shop in a capital city will earn you good dollars, definatey better than the car industry, and usually there is regular paid overtime too.

After that then hit the mines.....$$$$$$$$$$$$

One more thing, don't tell the employment provider or diesel shop that "your 5 year plan" is to go to the mines. They'll drop you like a bad habit. They've had a gutful of training guys only to go to the mines, and losing their fully trained men.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #21
nobbystang

I was earning $12.42 an hour as a qualified tradesman in 99 when I finally quit and joined the Navy. Best thing I did, needed to get out and see the world!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #22
old_mate
Smash the Boost

transport in general sucks i think

i left the airlines on 20 an hour including shift penalties fully qualified as a avionics maintenance engineer. Im now doing another apprenticeship as a commercial electrician and getting 25.50 an hour. Pay goes up again when i start my data cabling stuff. Awesome.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #23
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Mate , I know its still hard work, but you should think about starting your own business! I know there are many mechanics doing that , but you just have to be smart about a few things and you will make it !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #24
Rollin
Banned

Quote:
I could have written that exact paragraph and all the details would have been accurate!

Being a mechanic FTL.

Being a uranium geologist FTW (my gf's Dad is one and he is DISGUSTINGLY loaded!)
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Become a courier and earn easy money for doing bugger all work. Well ... you work ... but you can take it easy or make yourself busy ... your choice ... depends how much you want to earn though.

Gotta pick your companies wisely though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #26
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see ads in the paper here looking for mechanics and the pay isnt less than $50k, what kind of shithole are you working in only making $550 a week?

I was an apprentice in '99 and made $190 a week, gave that up after 6 months. I know back then the qualified guys there were making $500ish a week (plus bonus) and I thought that was **** even then.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #27
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
**** I pay more than that in Tax per day...

I use to fix cars as well... I tried Aircraft for 20 years then got into IT... IT is so easy... No getting dirty in Aircon all day... And its not hard work.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #28
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON10A
apply for jobs at mines,pick where you want to live and earn $$$ im on 85500+ super,most are screaming for people experienced or not
What jobs can you do there that don't involve going underground?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Quote:
opening a workshop is expensive looking at getting into the freight industry more money more chances of moving up the ladder a mate is helping me get a job i can earn more in 3 days than a week as a mechanic
Have you given any consideration to starting your own mobile workshop with a fully kitted out van?

A good mobile mechanic is worth his weight in gold and customers will keep coming back for the "Home" service.

Not too hard to set up, Van, tools, a GOOD eye catching ad in the yellow pages and some letterbox drops will probably see you under way and you only answer to yourself and your customer, no middle man hovering over you and dictating working conditions here.
ORESUMSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #30
XRchic
Hello

Eamon read this last night and agreed with everything said. He as an apprentice mechanic until he completed it last year. Wages suck. He was paid around $15 an hour, qualified. His charge rate was $95 per hour. The mechanics all got treated hideously - some of the things that went on would be harrassment and bullying and if anyone had the balls to stand up, they could get done big time for that.

Their workplace was an OH&S nightmare and the work was just crap, at the Ford dealership, where they worked on Hyundais, Jeeps and a few Fords as well as mostly general rust buckets that came in with the $99 shop-a-docket service vouchers.

There was no chance to earn more money or get ahead - one guy had been there for 20 years, was a brilliant mechanic and was only on $40K a year!

He left the trade last last year and is now working at the local abattoir. He gets as much overtime as he wants, even Saturdays. He is treated really well, he is paid more, there are more opportunities and its cleaner than being a mechanic, believe it or not!

We tried some applications at the mines, but didnt really get anywhere.. perhaps we asked the wrong places!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post